The bathroom is one of the smallest rooms in your home, but it’s one of the most important. It’s the place you prepare yourself for the day ahead. Having a cluttered and disorganised bathroom can interfere with your morning routine, leaving you feeling rushed and stressed putting you in a negative mood. Likewise, before sleeping many people end their days with their evening grooming/ beauty routine. Doing this in an organised space will leave you feeling more relaxed setting you up for a good night sleep.
Below are three steps to get your bathroom minimised and organised and keep it that way.
Here you want to declutter drawers and cabinets ensuring you only keep the things you need.
1.1. Remove every item from cabinets and drawers. If you have a large bathroom or limited space to work, you may want to do this one cabinet or drawer at a time.
1.2. Handle every item and determine if it adds value to your beauty and grooming routine if it doesn’t let it go. Dispose of medicines and other products that have expired. Ensure you dispose of these items responsibly making sure they don’t end up in reach of children or pets. The only items that should be in the bathroom that you may not use often are first aid supplies.
1.3. Items that don’t belong in the bathroom should be placed it their appropriate location.
Now you need to store the items you want to keep.
2.1. Wipe down cabinets and drawers before putting things back in them.
2.2. Store remaining items in drawers and cabinets.
Here are some storage tips:
- To keep things neat and organised you may want to use containers to store small and similar items together. For example, first aid supplies could be stored together in a container.
- Also consider, storing items in zones, this involves storing all the things that are used for a particular beauty/ grooming routine together. For example, I shave my hair, so I keep my clippers, razor and shaving cream in the same cabinet in the bathroom. This will help you save time as you don’t have to go from one spot to another to get the stuff you need to perform your particular beauty/ grooming routine.
- Avoid the temptation to store products on the bathroom countertop. The countertop should be used as a workspace to carry out your beauty and grooming routine. It should not be a place to store stuff. A cluttered countertop will not give you the space you need to work and will make the bathroom look messy and disorganised. The only exception would be hand soap, and a hand towel as these are commonly used items. Furthermore, if you only have one bathroom, you don’t want guest going through your bathroom cabinets to find the hand soap. If you want to know more about how to organise other flat surfaces check out my January 2017 blog: Could cluttered flat surfaces be stopping you from achieving your goals.
Now that you have minimised and organised your bathroom, you need to keep it that way.
Here are some maintenance tips:
- To maintain an organised bathroom only bring items out when you need them and return them to their designated place once done. This is also important if you share your bathroom with others, as others should not be surrounded by your beauty/grooming products when they are using the bathroom. Furthermore, clear surfaces within the bathroom will make it more inviting for the next person to use.
- Replace products once you have finished rather than stocking up on the latest beauty products. Avoid getting caught up in the newest products that promise to make you ten years younger in just 14 days. Do these products actually work? Not only will this save you space in the bathroom but will also save you money and reduce waste.
Invest in a good quality soap dispenser and place the hand soap in it rather than keeping it in the bottle it came in. Also, consider doing the same for shampoos, conditioners and body wash if you are displaying them in the shower. The objective is to place any products (which should be very little) that are not being stored in drawers or cabinets in label-free containers. The goal is to avoid having any product labels on display, as written words can be distracting and make the bathroom look busy. Through eliminating written text, it will make the bathroom more attractive and relaxed giving the bathroom a spa feel to it. Likewise, invest in some good quality towels not only will they last longer but will also make the bathroom more stylish.
The key to an organised bathroom is only to have beauty and grooming products that you need. This will make organising and maintaining a clean bathroom easier. A tidy bathroom will ensure you have an organised space to perform your morning beauty and grooming routine in a stress-free environment. Putting you in a positive state of mind and giving you the motivation to tackle the day ahead. Likewise, after a busy day, your evening beauty and grooming routine will be done in a relaxing and calm environment preparing you for a good night sleep. Take the time to look at your bathroom if it’s not inviting maybe it’s time to get it organised.